Thank you for all the support you have given me in the past 14 years. I can’t believe that my time as a legislator is almost over, but due to term limits I will leave the Michigan legislature on December 31.
I am proud of my record serving the people of my district and state. I’m especially proud of:
• Neighborhood Enterprise Zone legislation, to lower property taxes for many in Detroit.
• Education reform legislation to modernize schools for thousands of children in Detroit and students throughout Michigan.
• Strengthening the 8 Mile/Woodward corridor, by opposing a racetrack, fighting to prevent the closure of the State Fair, and passing legislation which would provide major retail for the region.
• Fighting to end bullying in Michigan. Although this very important piece of legislation did not pass, it is important that all children in Michigan have the opportunity to go to school in a safe environment.
• A long-term care strategy for Detroit developed with the Detroit Area Agency on Aging.
• Expanding funding and research programs in the fight against prostate cancer.
Although I am leaving the legislature my work is not done! I am proud to announce that I am forming a new public affairs company called the Thomas Consulting Group. This new, dynamic company will offer public relations, strategic planning, and governmental consulting to companies and non-profits throughout Michigan; check us out at www.thethomasconsultinggroup.com.
My new email address will be firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to what the future brings us and also staying in touch with you! Wishing you and your family Season’s Greetings!